Interesting Topics from the North East of England.
Friends are invited to attend the Friday Evening Meetings that are presented during the winter months. The following is the current programme and a selection of previous Talks.
Please note: The topics and speakers may be changed at the last minute without warning. This is very rare indeed and we always try to have a worthwhile substitute available just in case.
The following will give you some idea about the topics covered by the speakers in that period.
The meetings are always well attended and enjoyed by all. Most of the speakers are eminant experts in their field. Come along if you can make it. You won't be disappointed.
Friday Evening Meetings: 2016-2017
- September 30th 2016 Bernard Hope - Eddie Chapman North East Double Agent
- October 21st 2016 Andrew Clark - Pubs, Brewers and Beer
- November 25th 2016 Richard Pears - Tyneside and the Battle of Jutland
- January 27th 2017 Trevor Ermel - All My Yesterdays
- February 24th 2017 Jonathan Hill - J.R. Moore, Newcastle's Motorcycling Pioneer
- March 24th 2017 Paul Jarman - Transport at Beamish
- April 28th 2017 Val Scully - Mary Eleanor Bowes
Friday Evening Meetings: 2015-2016
- September 25th 2015 Jim Rees - Remaking Beamish
- October 23rd 2015 Ken Potts - Heritage Railways
- November 27th 2015 George Nairn - The Great North Road
- January 29th 2016 Richard Pears - Necessary History - The British Toilet
- February 26th 2016 John Treherne MBE - The Songs of Tyneside
- March 18th 2016 Shirley Brown - Babies, Art & J. B. Priestley
- April 29th 2016 Anthea Lang - Victorian Gateshead
Friday Evening Meetings: 2014-2015
- September 26th 2014 Ian Morland - How the Railway came to Consett.
- October 24th 2014 Trevor Carroll - A History of Fairgrounds.
- November 28th 2014 J. T. Middleton - World War I.
- January 30th 2015 Richard Stevenson - The Great Fire of Gateshead.
- February 27th 2015 Michael Hughes - Durham Botanic Garden.
- March 20th 2015 N Welch - Radical Jack, First Earl of Durham.
- May 1st 2015 Peter Cryer, Al & Pauline Giles - A History of the Press Gang in the North East.
Friday Evening Meetings: 2013-2014
- September 27th 2013 John Moreels - Nostalgic Views of the North.
- October 18th 2013 Kevin Walsh - Recruiting for His Majesty King George III.
- November 29th 2013 Bill Saunders - Ralph Hedley Tyneside Artist.
- January 31st 2014 Dorothy Rand - Growing up in the 1950s.
- February 28th 2014 Ian Gillard - Mary Ann Cotton.
- March 28th 2014 Marie-Therese Mayne - The Richardsons a Newcastle Family of artists.
- April 25th 2014 Andrew Sawyer - Lord & Lady Armstrong.
The Friday Evening Meetings are held on the Museum site, normally in the Collections' Room in the Regional Resource Centre Bulding at Foulbridge.
If you are coming to the Meetings please enter the site at the Foulbridge Workshop entrance and park there. The gate will open between 7.15pm and 8.00pm. The meeting starts at 8.00pm and the gate will be locked during the meeting.
You will need your membership card with you when you sign in.
There is a £1.00 charge per person, per Meeting, which includes refreshments.
Can you suggest a suitable speaker for a Friday Evening Meeting?
If yes, please contact the Friends' Office.